While picking strawberries at my p-patch (community garden) this evening my grandpa called. Since before I can remember, my grandparents have made strawberry freezer jam which is heavenly. Given the number of projects Kelly and I have going right now and the fact that I have to work (not to mention the low likelihood that the kitchen was going to be in jam-making shape), I had dismissed the idea of partaking in the time honored tradition. Lucky for us, maybe not so lucky for our neighbors, with grandma supervising in the speaker phone background grandpa informed me that I could freeze the strawbs!
Here’s today’s harvest from my front yard and p-patch—not bad! It took me a little over an hour to go from giving 75% of the strawbs away and gorging myself on the other 25% to being able to enjoy the fruits of my labors at a later date.
The raw goods (above). Part of the hour (or so) was spent cleaning the counters and getting the dishes cleared out of the sink.
After rinsing the strawbs, I methodically went through the lot, de-topping, removing blemishes, picking out some of the best for fresh eating.
I filled six, 1-quart Zip-Loc freezer bags. Each contains about 4 cups of strawberries. Doing some quick math after looking at the pectin box (pectin is what gives jam its viscosity, read resistance to pouring), this should yield about 16 8oz. containers of jam using two packets of pectin. I’m thankful that I can save that for another day. And not only for jam in my future, but maybe a strawberry margarita or two ;-)
PS. Here’s a link to my post from the other day about strawberry picking and how critters like them too.